Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Twilight Fans Await Pattinson's Performing of Rectal Exam Scene in DeLillo's Cosmopolis


Twilight star Robert Pattinson has been selected by director David Cronenberg to star in his upcoming film adaption of Don DeLillo’s semi-recent novel Cosmopolis. DeLillo disciples (like me) can only hope that Pattinson’s portrayal of existential assets manager Eric Packer might turn Twilight readers (20 million and counting) onto the literary genius of America’s premiere novelist (sorry Pynchon, McCarthy, and Roth, but it’s true).

Cosmopolis might not be DeLillo’s best work, but I would argue that it rivals if not bests anything else published in 2003, which includes Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Da Vinci Code and titles by Amis, Atwood, Coetzee, Lethem, and Palahniuk, not to mention Pulitzer Prize winning Middlesex by Eugenides.

Either way, Cosmopolis will surely experience a spike in sales but will its sparse, poetic style and relatively heady thematic explorations prove too much for those prone to blood and brain cell-sucking vapidity? Will some Twilight readers convert to quality literature? Will Pattinson have an Oprah-effect on DeLillo’s career? Would that lead to Oprah selecting Cosmopolis for her book club and might we consequently see DeLillo sitting on Oprah’s couch? Nah.

I visited a few Pattinson/Twilight fan sites and here’s a sampling of early reactions to Cosmopolis. Not surprising, most of them are looking forward to Pattinson's performance of the rectal exam scene. Is this the kind of public/media attention that forced another DeLillo protagonist, celebrated author Bill Gray, into maniacal reclusion?

Hmm... ive never heard of that book but I hope it's better than it sounds.

I’m probably in the minority, but I’m halfway through reading my free copy from Google books but the book is a bit boring and the love scenes are not sensual. It’s almost robotic. I do hope the filmmakers can make it more exciting. So far DeLillo has not made me care about any of the characters.

The book is too expensive for my Nook. $10.00

I like Rob but I’m not thrilled with this choice. I’ve read Cosmopolis and it wasn’t very good. Here’s hoping that Cronenberg can make a lousy book turn into a better movie.

I’m a tad confused reading this book. Some of the words that the author puts together don’t even seem to go together. My brain was aching when I was finished with part 1…and ya, I had to go back and re-read some parts just to make sure I fully understood what I was reading…even then I’m not sure I did…LOL.

Yeah, I am reading it and having a hard time with it too. Eric definitely seems like an asshole. The book kind of reminds me of the book, “Up in the Air” in a way. Jerk in an airplane, jerk in a limo. I did end up liking the movie version of “Up in the Air” though, so hopefully “Cosmopolis” will be the same- plus, Rob’s in it so it can’t be all bad. Actually, I’m sure he be great in it. The rectal exam/orgasm was disturbing. And Eric does that(the exam) every day?! And what’s up with the wife? I hope the book gets better.

Struggling? hell to the yeah! this is the weirdest thing i’ve ever read and i’ve read Ballad of the Sad Cafe (i thought that was weird). boy was i ever wrong. not only i find eric strange but he seems to be a hypochondriac. seriously, he has a doctor’s exam just about everyday. either that or he likes a finger up his ass while a woman watches. i’m not sure if eric is an asshole. i think he is bipolar or paraniod at best, but clearly he does have some problem (lack of sleep, an obsession with birds). the inner monologue is getting on my nerve. on a personal note, i have to say that ff has definitely ruined me for real books.hahaha i was hoping for a little more sex for the sexy times, but just like a man. wham bam thank ya mam and it was over. the whole bottle fucking thing, i did not get. all around weird.
yeah, i have read and re-read this first chapter and i am still confused, except, yes, he does want a haircut. that is all i can glean from this. still trying. and yes, i can totally picture Rob in this part. ever see the look he gives the paps when he’s had enough. could totally be prick-worthy.

Yep, I’m reading it. Yep, it is def … uhhh, weird. :/ I can see Rob playing Eric, but I just wonder how well this material will translate to film. However, I really. really want to hear Rob say the *cough* “bottle” line. ;P

It’s definitely a very strange read. Sometimes it’s fairly straightforward, and then it goes off on a stream of consciousness tangent. The dialogue sounds very stilted too, which I guess is intentional. I don’t think Eric is an asshole or a prick. I think he’s jaded and maybe a bit drunk on the power he has. He watches scenes of violence with boredom and even enjoyment, and doesn’t seem worried about the possibility of losing loads of money. I think this is a great role for Rob to take, for all the reasons you said.This is no romantic hero role, that’s for sure. I have to admit, I found the prostate exam oddly hot, and no, I don’t think we’ll see Rob getting a full-on rectal exam. Maybe just a bit of tush . As I read I keep picturing Rob in various scenes and I can so see him pulling this off. I can’t wait to see it.
I’ve finished reading the entire book. Upon reading the last line, I closed it and asked myself “what the fuck did I just read?”. I found the book very confusing and the writing style to be a little strange. BUT I think it has good bones to make a really stellar movie.

Thank God I’m not the only one confused and lost when I’m reading this. I have it on PDF on my eReaders and I worried there was an error in the download. I at least go everything that was mentioned in the summary so that’s good. I’m dreading the next part cause I started it today and I’m totally lost. Really hope they cut the rectal exam but (no pun intended) they can leave in the sex. I’m all for naked Rob.

4 comments:

  1. I love this! Cosmpolisis is on my must-read list. And even though you won't agree, it is my favorite DeLillo novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think he will write a prequel and sequel or two?

    Eri[k] is a total asshole. That's what makes him so lovable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cosmopolis is a masterpiece. It requires reading through Foucault and Jean Baudrillard though, the late great French post modernists. It is DeLillo's challenge to Baudrillard. Eric Packer ........well, if you go to my blog on it I have 61 posts up so far and I am not finished with it yet. I am out to save the literary critiquing on Packer as a self-destructive loser because he loses all his money. Actually he is throwing the money changers out of the temple, including himself. I hope this thread isn't as dead as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the font in the image above?

    ReplyDelete