Sunday, November 14, 2010

Bob

My father-in-law died of a heart attack this week. He was halfway across the country on business. He died in his sleep, alone, in a hotel room. He was 64. My best friend Bob would have been 39 today. He too died unexpectedly, from complications of a kidney condition. This is him surfing. He was a good surfer even if his style was a tad goofy at times. Nobody had more fun though. Benji Weatherly and some pros laughed at him once. Bob was getting out of the water in Little Compton during a hurricane swell wearing his goofy homemade wetsuit visor. Benji and the other pros had been watching Bob from the beach. When he came up, Benji made a sarcastic remark about Bob catching some "good ones." Bob just laughed it off and went to his car. Benji and his friends followed him up the path. When they got to their car they discovered that they had locked their keys inside, their wetsuits and boards too. They asked Bob if he had a coat hanger. Bob said no even though he had like six of them in his car due to work shirts (waiter at the Millwharf). Bob drove off with a smile on his face while Benji and the other pros stood there looking stupid. Don't listen to all the stuff written about Bob making a saint out of him. He enjoyed being a prick sometimes. Love ya, buddy.

Click on title for video.

7 comments:

  1. The first time I saw Bob surf I had no clue who he was. It was on the Cape, I was there with a friend, and he was there with his, and the four of use traded waves through out the day. I though nothing of it. The following day, I called the Levitate surf report, and Bob answered by addressing me by my name then asked "how ya doing". I told him about the surf from the prior day, and he went on to explain he and his friend were to two guys with red visors I shared the surf with. Shortly after, I met him while surfing on the South Shore. What struck me most was his attitude, he seemed like one of the guys I would encounter when surfing down south. Hooting, hollering and having fun. It was pretty cool of him, to share his stoke with a guy like me, not known to him other than a phone conversation, but from then on, every time I saw him in the water he was the same way.

    It's good to hear he could be a prick too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I went into Levitate I was a stupid little grom. I told Bob that i saw a nice board at Noreaster that I was gona buy. I was less than blown away by Bob's lack of surf industries boards and awful funshapes. At that time, I had no idea how bad those boards were. Bob asked me how I would have felt if he came into my business and told me he was going somewhere else. I didnt get it because I was so innocent and dumb. But he definitely didnt like me for a while. In this way I though of him as mean guy. Or as you would put it, a prick. But i eventually understood what kind of a lasting impact that he left on everybody. SO I decided he must be a nice guy. I never knew him when I was any good at surfing. But I wish I did. Rest in peace Bob and don't worry I dont go to Noreaster anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never met Bob but others I know, people I knew were mutual friend and were close to him. I was so struck when I learned of his passing and his young family and was filled with both sadness and joy when I saw the local surf community work together to offer their condolences and a helping hand. Although he passed too early he had experienced the finest things in life, love from his wife, beautiful children and surfing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad could be a prick too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob was my cousin Amelia's husband. He was loved by all and is missed everyday. Thanks for the nice footage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is amazing and says so much about Bob and who he was that people still write about him. I think of him daily what a good friend he was to my son

    ReplyDelete